You know it’s a heat wave when the temperature is in the high 80s and it’s a “cool” day. Yuck! When it’s this hot outside, the last thing I want to do is turn on the oven or stove. It’s the perfect time to grill! Grilling can take only a few minutes and doesn’t heat up the whole house. Plus, then I can get my husband to do most of the work🙂
Today I’m sharing a recipe for my new favorite grilled dish. Adapted from a recipe by the grilling guru, Bobby Flay, it’s summer vegetables; marinated in a a delicious combination of balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, EVOO, and garlic, grilled; and tossed with couscous and fresh herbs. Super easy and so tasty!
I love the adaptability of this recipe. The original recipe calls for toasted Israeli couscous, which is delicious, but after running out of that rather expensive ingredient, I’ve been using regular whole wheat couscous and it works just as well. You can also use whatever vegetables you have on hand. I love grilled asparagus in it, but after it jumped in price, I was OK with leaving it out. Last night when I made this recipe again, I discovered that my cherry tomatoes had gone bad. I was dismayed because they add a lot of brightness to the dish. But I had some extra carrots on hand, so I threw them in, and they gave the dish a really nice sweetness. So really no matter what substitutions you need to make, you can’t go wrong. Grilled veggies are just that good🙂
It’s delicious served warm, or at room temperature. Feel free to serve as a side salad, or like I do, as a main dish with some yummy grilled bread.
Balsamic Grilled Vegetables with Couscous
(adapted from recipe by Bobby Flay)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 green zucchini, quartered lengthwise
- 1 yellow squash, quartered lengthwise
- 4 carrots, quartered lengthwise
- 1 red bell pepper, quartered and seeded
- Handful of fresh basil, chopped
- 4 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 lb couscous
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard and garlic. Slowly add the olive oil and whisk until combined. Season with salt and pepper. Pour 1/2 the marinade over the vegetables and let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill to medium heat. Prepare the couscous as directed on package.
- Remove the vegetables from the marinade and grill the vegetables until just cooked through, about 3-4 minutes per side (depending on the size of the veggies).
- Cut the grilled vegetables into 1/2 inch pieces. Add them to the prepared couscous and herbs and toss with the remaining vinaigrette. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
Makes 4 main dish servings.