Wow, have I been on a hiatus! First I was super busy with the end of the semester madness, and then there were all of the holiday celebrations. I know… excuses, excuses. I’ll try to do better.
Well, a few days ago I finally got Pinterest. What a great way to procrastinate But it is also very motivational. I am itching to start doing more crafts, I just hope I have the time to do them with the new semester starting next week *whine.* I also love the food boards because I’m always looking for new recipes to try.
I am happy to say that my first recipe inspired by Pinterest was a success! Sure, I managed to negate the health benefits of avocado by frying it and dipping it in mayo, but these panko-crusted avocado fries were a fabulous treat! They were soft and creamy on the inside, and crispy and golden brown on the outside. And the lemon flavors in the aioli made it a perfect, flavorful, fresh accompaniment. I’m looking forward to trying lots more recipes
(adapted from recipe by Adventures in Cooking)
For the fries-
- Canola oil (for frying)
- 2 ripe avocados
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cumin
For the aioli-
- 5 Tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Juice from 1/2 of a lemon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and cumin. Set it aside.
- Cut the avocados in half and then slice them vertically into wedges. Set them aside.
- Heat the deep fryer to 335 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, dredge the avocado slices in the breadcrumb mixture, then in the egg mixture, then in the breadcrumb mixture again. Place them in the hot oil and fry them for about 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove them with a slotted spoon or tongs, and set them on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb the excess oil.
- Allow fries to dry for 10 minutes, then transfer them to a serving tray and serve them immediately.
- For the lemon cilantro aioli, place the mayonnaise, cilantro, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a blender and mix until smooth and creamy in texture.
Makes 3-4 servings.